- Experience Level
Title: Legal Assistant
Salary: Based on Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree Required
Location: Atlanta, GA
Type: Full- Time
The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN), a nonprofit organization with a mission of providing free immigration legal services to victims of crime and persecution, is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant. GAIN provides free legal representation in immigration matters to persecuted asylum seekers and immigrant victims of human trafficking, domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Providing administrative support to the Legal Director and Staff Attorneys at GAIN
- Drafting and preparing immigration forms for clients’ filings with USCIS and EOIR
- Answering incoming calls, reviewing messages and responding to questions from potential clients
- Communicating with clients and pro bono attorneys concerning open legal matters
- Monitoring evidence gathering and supporting document gathering for cases
- Communicating with clients or volunteer attorneys; following up on delegated assignments and knowing when to act and when to refer matters to an attorney
- Maintaining client confidence by keeping attorney/client information confidential and privileged
- Maintaining, filing and archiving case files
- Preparing client correspondence
- Drafting flyers, fact sheets, check lists, etc. for our clients and volunteer attorneys
- Assisting and maintaining database administration, including tracking clients, attorneys, legal matters and all relevant communications
- Other duties as assigned
This position requires a very high level of organization, a strong work ethic, intuition, the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, and excellent attention to detail. Applicant
should also be able to represent GAIN in communicating professionally with clients and with volunteer attorneys. Applicant should be a fast learner and possess strong computer skills, including proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and understanding of database administration. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Office experience preferred. Applicant must be comfortable working in a law firm environment and fluency in Spanish (speaking/writing) is mandatory.
This is an ideal position for someone looking to gain insight into public interest law and/or the nonprofit community. For more information about GAIN, please visit us at www.georgiaasylum.org
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and resume to Mikaela Houghton, email@example.com.