- Experience Level
Habitat for Humanity-DeKalb, Incorporated
The Executive Director leads the organization by developing and implementing operational plans to achieve its mission, vision and goals by integrating the work of the board of directors, committees, staff and volunteers into a coherent, consistent and effective program of advocacy, resource development, construction, financing and family support resulting in successful home ownership for participant families.
The Executive Director provides overall leadership of Habitat for Humanity-Dekalb and is responsible for promoting the direction of the affiliate to serve families in need of simple, decent and affordable housing in Dekalb County.
Habitat for Humanity-DeKalb Mission
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity DeKalb brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope.
Neighborhoods across DeKalb County are revitalized into vibrant, safe, and inviting places to live for current and future residents. This will happen through the hard work of engaged citizens, partnerships with civic and business groups and a renewed community spirit.
1) Serve families and provide them a “Hand Up” not a “Hand Out”
2) Partner with like-minded organizations and companies in order to produce synergistic, mission-impact results 3) Advocate on behalf of those in need of affordable housing
Specific Executive Challenges
1) Robust fiscal management
2) Efficient Program Delivery
3) Improved Visibility in the Community
4) Effective Resource Development
HFHD is a non-profit, charitable organization funded mainly by sponsors (corporate, church and individual), donors, homeowner mortgage payments and government partnerships. It is an official Georgia county affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global nonprofit housing and community development organization.
HFHD was created in 1988 to provide affordable, decent housing, homeowner education and financial counseling to family partners (homeowners). HFHD constructs and rehabilitates homes that are sold to family partners with a 0% interest loan. Over its close to 30-year existence, HFHD has provided affordable homes to almost 70 Dekalb County families and home repair services for over 170 seniors, Veterans and/or disabled residents.
Location: DeKalb County
2018 Budget: $941,200
Staff: Three including the Executive Director
Our mission of working with the community to build simple, sound, affordable homes with and for these families has resulted in over 450 family members permanently escaping poverty housing.
Habitat for Humanity DeKalb County (HFHD) is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic Executive Director (ED). The ED will offer visionary leadership to fulfill HFHD’s Christian mission in DeKalb County and will be capable of sustaining and growing the impact of the affiliate. At the core of this mission is a commitment to eliminating substandard housing from all of DeKalb County by renovating, repairing and constructing affordable homes for qualified applicants. The ideal CEO will excel in nonprofit management and be able to learn the core of HFH’s work with volunteers, mortgage law, construction, homeowner services and retail (ReStore).
Competencies Fiscal Management
Strong candidates will show ability to:
- Develop and maintain internal controls to manage the affiliates monthly cash flow and monthly financial statement preparation.
- Monitor budget allocations, expenditures, fund balances and related financial activities for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate, revenues are recorded, expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
- Develop and maintain procedures and processes to effectively implement the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative & Home Construction/Rehab including scope of work, funding in place, clearly defined budget and payment schedule.
- Oversee the mortgage servicing process and ensure that accounts receivable are maintained at an acceptable level.
- Analyze a variety of financial information (e.g. revenues, expenditures, cash management, cost projections, real estate, insurance, etc.) for the purpose of providing direction and support, making recommendations, maximizing use of funds, and/or ensuring overall operations are within budget.
Strong candidates will show ability to:
- Develop an overall strategic approach to fundraising, including identifying potential funding sources, both public and private
- Increase, strengthen and diversify funding sources, including one-on-one solicitation with major donors and private foundations, deferred giving campaigns, corporate, church and in-kind support.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers skilled in development activities including major gift solicitation, grant applications and fundraising events
- Provide income stream that is diversified, sufficient and sustainable to support HFHD’s operational plans.
Strong candidates will demonstrate ability to:
- Work with the Board to develop and implement the short and long term strategic plan to help achieve its mission and vision
- Handle the paradox of both leading and being led by volunteers, while effectively utilizing volunteer resources
- Work with committee chairs and staff to design and implement action plans
- Identify resource needed to achieve goals; create approaches and timeline to securing them
- Attract, develop and retain the highest level of continuously improving staff members
- Remain accountable to fiscal and project deadlines and agreed-upon expectations
Strong candidates will show ability to:
- Manage and report on progress toward operational goals including rehab acquisitions, Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative goals, family support and selection, house rehabilitation/construction and volunteer cultivation
- Manage projects that may not necessarily be an area of expertise
- Commit HFHD resource with utmost integrity for maximum community impact within framework and policies established by the Board
- Establish consistent systems of procedure for outcome delivery
Demonstrated ability of the candidate will include:
- Ability to effectively present information to board of directors and large groups/organizations.
- Inspire trust and confidence through personal demonstration of thoughtful leadership, business acumen and results orientation
- Attributes in working with the public, government officials, employees and volunteers in a pleasant and tactful manner
- Knowledge of best practices regarding Board interactions and support elements
- Conveying a passionate and urgent message regarding HFHD’s mission and the depth of need in DeKalb County
Education & Experience Requirement
- A four year college or university degree A minimum of ten years work experience including at least five years of management experience Demonstrated ability to work in a leadership role including strategic planning and fiscal management Experience evaluating personnel, programs and operations Multi-faceted project management experience History of working with Board leadership preferable Experience working with diverse populations and a commitment to further cultivate an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive Track record of success increasing organizational capacity, achieving organizational goals and building teams Must possess the proven ability to read, comprehend and interpret financial statements. Possession of exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal, and will lend credibility to HFHD as an inspiring spokesperson in DeKalb County communities Proficiency in Microsoft products including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint Knowledge of Habitat for Humanity, Federal HOME Funds and Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative is an advantage Affordable housing experience is an advantage.
To Express Interest
Electronic resumes, including current salary, should be emailed to EDsearch@DeKalbHabitat.org. HFHD is an Equal
Employment Opportunity employer. For complete information about Habitat for Humanity, DeKalb please visit DeKalbHabitat.org. In addition, to help us gain a deeper understanding of how you think, we’re asking each applicant to answer the following question. Please keep your answer to no more than 750 words.
As executive director, you will be managing multiple projects. Successful project management touches on many skills, such as time management, communication and the ability to pivot as circumstances change. With that in mind, we’d like you to tell us about a project you had to manage. In addition to sharing a high-level view of the project, we’d like to know, in specific detail, what steps or actions you took to juggle multiple priorities and communicate with key stakeholders? What goals and milestones did you set to keep the project on task? And what metrics did you use to measure success? Lastly, we’d like to hear more about the outcome. Did your project launch on time? Was it successful? And what key lessons did you learn along the way?
Please Note: All qualified, prospective candidates will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Candidates need to specifically address the number of years of experience within the minimum qualifications. Due to the large volume of resumes received in this office, we are unable to provide information on your resume status over the telephone. No notifications will be sent to prospective candidates except those who are selected for interviews.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS
An Equal Opportunity Employer
This agency does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment.