Executive Assistant to the CEO
- Experience Level
Title: Executive Assistant
Type: Full Time, Administrative
Location: Oakland, California -- Uptown District -- located near many public transportation options.
Application Window: Open until filled
ABOUT OUTDOOR AFRO
Outdoor Afro uses innovation and entrepreneurial insight to engage African-Americans of all ages in empowering experiences in the outdoors by dismantling seemingly intractable social and cultural barriers. Our dynamic approach has attracted a variety of partnerships and resources, spurring consistent growth that has enabled us to become a national influencer in outdoor recreation.
Founded from a blog in 2009, Outdoor Afro has since built a national community and leadership team across nearly 30 states that has helped us to advance social and policy imperatives to transform African-Americans’ relationship with nature, and cultivate an ethic of conservation and innovations in outdoor leadership.
With both staff and volunteers, we have built strong momentum toward developing greater reach, more key partnerships, and solid revenue streams.
Visit: http://outdoorafro.com or @outdoorafro across all social media platforms to learn more.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position provides high-level administrative support and overall office administrative support to the CEO and organization. This position will be responsible for performing research, creating and editing written materials, and coordinating special projects as assigned. Specific responsibilities range from general administrative duties to coordinating national volunteer activities through its director leaders and donor database, grants administration, and donor relationship management. This position will also play a key role in board governance activities such as coordinating board meetings, writing meeting minutes, and maintaining corporate records.
General Administrative and Operations Duties
- Provide high level administrative support to the CEO, program, communications, fundraising and operations staff and/or contractors as requested. Provide calendar management, filing and office organization support. Perform research and write grants and/or reports and correspondence as requested. Interface with board members, and execute special projects as assigned by the CEO.
- Provide overall office administrative support at various levels, including making travel and hotel arrangements; meetings and event coordination; supplies procurement,answering phones, mailing, materials production, and daily operations support. Coordinate office needs and interface with facility managers and vendors as needed.
- Work with finance and human resources to assist with various functions such as time sheet management, tracking of reimbursements, updates to the Employee Handbook, and liaising with contractors for operations and other special projects as requested.
- Coordinate the development and distribution of a monthly calendar that includes all important deadlines, meetings, staff time off, holidays, and board and committee activities.
- Support office technology needs and requests. Coordinate service requests, equipment maintenance for personal workstations, printers, copy machines, and the internet. Assist in the implementation of technology solutions and performing periodic technology needs assessments.
- Coordinate compliance with the organization’s safety plan.
- Work with the CEO and other staff to implement team building and staff morale activities for Outdoor Afro.
- Assist with accounts payable by distributing checks and reports in accordance with the organization's’ internal financial controls.
- Provide board meeting and committee meeting support including assisting with the production of materials, attending board meetings, writing meeting minutes, tracking board and committee meeting attendance, and tracking board meeting actions and delegations. Maintain board and committee meeting files as requested.
- Assist in maintaining the organization’s corporate records and governance activities. This includes ensuring all minutes of the Board of Directors and certain committee meetings are signed by the corporate secretary, tracking and filing all actions taken by Unanimous Written Consent, updating the Policies and Procedures manual as policies are adopted or amended.
- Assist in the development of materials for new board member orientations and/or administrative duties associated with board member resignations as requested. Maintain board member files as requested.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Associate’s degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- California Driver’s License.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- IT systems knowledge, aptitude, or interest in supporting the technology needs of an organization.
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through on assignments.
- Able to travel out of state overnight and work evenings and weekends for special events
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Positive and professional demeanor with good interpersonal skills and ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Ability to track, manage, and prioritize time effectively while working on multiple assignments with ownership.
- Team player with warm communication style.
- Advanced skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook. Experience with Customer Relationship Management software (CRM), Salesforce, or similar software a plus.
- Experience developing or managing office files and record keeping systems.
Commensurate with experience. Outdoor Afro offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, and paid time off.
Email resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that no resumes will be reviewed or accepted via LinkedIn, or Facebook inbox
Outdoor Afro is an equal opportunity employer. The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.