- Experience Level
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Vice President of Communications and assists in overseeing all day-to-day communications needs of the Atlanta Police Foundation. The primary responsibility will be support to the Vice President of Communications while working closely with major stakeholders, community based organizations, service providers, academic institutions, and youth advisors on projects, events and programs for the Foundation to help reduce crime in the City of Atlanta. The position requires the ability to manage a broad range of work styles and personalities. The successful candidate will be a collaborator, but will also be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
The Communications Coordinator will also support other APF programs including the Secure Neighborhoods Initiative, At-Promise Initiative, Operation Shield, Recruitment, the Atlanta Police Leadership Institute as well as five major fundraising events. The Communications Coordinator will also work with the Atlanta Police Department (APD) command staff to identify strategic needs and opportunities in the department and may develop programs/initiatives to address them. This position plays a pivotal role in the planning process and assistance with fundraising strategies. He or she must have also confidence managing the implementation phase, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Develop public relations strategies
- Build relationships with local and national media
- Strong writing skills, for web, social media and press
- Ability to generate publicity for Atlanta Police Foundation events and awareness of brand
- Write reports on media coverage
- Oversee and support the VP of Communications with content production for social media, advertisements, videos, etc.
- Help arrange press conferences and events
- Conduct preliminary market research for new ad campaigns
- Manage all forms of social media. Must have a strong understanding of social media
- Manage content on Atlanta Police Foundation website
- Fundamental understanding of fundraising for a non-profit
- Ability to multitask, work independently and think creatively
- Ability to interact and engage with executives via phone, email, meetings and/or public events
- Ability to speak on camera and/or represent the Atlanta Police Foundation in the community
- Dependable mode of transportation
- Basic graphic design skills
- Manage confidential and sensitive information.
- Facilitate coordination between APF programs.
- Assist in maintaining relationships with sponsors, relevant government agencies, universities, and other non-governmental organizations.
- As part of the APF team, support organization-wide development activities and events.
- Utilize technology to support program management and collaboration, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat and others.
- Other projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Mass Media, English, etc.)
- Two - four years of experience preferred, however, recent grads are welcome
- Cultural sensitivity and understanding of diversity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and comfort with public speaking
- Strong sense of organization and ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines without compromising quality
- Ability to organize and report information accurately and completely under tight deadlines
- Computer proficiency, particularly MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, and PowerPoint
- Some understanding of law enforcement culture and government operations