Accounts Payable Supervisor
- Experience Level
The Accounts Payable Supervisor is responsible for all aspects of the accounts payable function – purchase invoices, cash disbursement, vendor relations, account coding, IRS compliance and data integrity – in compliance with GAAP and KQED policies and procedures.
1. Direct the daily operations of the accounts payable function to ensure maintenance of accurate, complete and detailed records in the accounting software.
2. Compile and process accounts payable’s monthly close and prepare necessary journal entries related to accounts payable, expenses, and sales tax.
3. Oversee and supervise the senior accounts payable accountant in the day-to-day accounts payable function and month end close. This includes, but not limited to, the review and approval of the following work performed by the senior accounts payable accountant:
• Entering of invoices into the accounting system
• Month end and year end journal entries
4. Maintain accounts payable pay-file: review purchase orders for proper account coding; verify accuracy of vendor invoice, record vendor invoices in accounting system and accrue sales tax in compliance with sales and use tax regulations.
5. On a quarterly basis (or as directed by Board of Equalization) file sales tax reports with the California Board of Equalization.
6. Approve and process cash disbursements: select invoices for payment to optimize cash flow; upload check run registers to bank for positive pay; limit manual checks; avoid late and duplicate payments, wrong vendor payments; correct errors promptly.
7. Monitor accounts payable performance: analyze accounts payable aging and discounts taken; prepare account analysis as requested; recommend areas of improvement in the accounts payable process and assist in implementation, and hold teaching sessions with Production Finance and Operations and Financial Service Groups and other interested parties.
8. Prepare necessary journal entries for monthly close and ensure proper cut-off procedures are followed for year-end close. Direct and review journal entries prepared by senior accounts payable accountant for monthly close to avoid duplicate accruals.
9. Prepare and perform a monthly analyses after month-end close for pre-paid, and AP accrual accounts and analyses of cash out flow for AP and Payroll checking accounts. Identify and correct errors in a timely manner.
10. Effectively communicate with vendors and departments: reconcile vendor statements and research and resolve past due items; research and resolve staff and vendor accounts payable questions; understand the responsibilities and functions of the purchasing activities.
11. Maintain master vendor file, permanent vendor files and prepare 1099 reports in compliance with IRS regulations.
12. Prepare and file unclaimed property reports with CA Unclaimed Property Department. Duties are to send notification letters to vendors notifying them that they have a check that is still outstanding after a 3 year dormant period. In October of same year send a preliminary report to State stating all outstanding checks from the same dormant period. The following June send final report to State listing all checks that have not been claimed.
13. Archiving duties: manage the out flow of data boxes from Finance storage room and maintain list of the data boxes that have been send elsewhere for storage.
14. Supervision of any temporary or volunteer accounts payable staff.
15. Subject matter expert in the transition to electronic payment and new ERP system.
16. Other duties as assigned.
BA or BS degree in Business Administration or related field with courses in Accounting or 5+ years of accounts payable experience in mid-large company
1. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and tax 1099 regulations
2. Ability to diplomatically communicate with staff and vendors
3. Strong attention to detail and 10-key skills
4. Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
5. Highly organized and dependable
6. Must be able to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
7. Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills
8. 5+ years of supervisory experience
1. Public broadcasting industry experience
2. Experience working within an ERP systems environment is highly desirable
3. Knowledge of Navision Purchase Order System desirable
4. Knowledge of sales tax and unclaimed property requirements desirable
To apply, please visit: