Assistant Controller (PTE, exempt – 20 hours per week)
- Experience Level
Montalvo is seeking an experienced Assistant Controller who is interested in working a part-time/flexible schedule. The primary function of this role is to support the accounting operations of Montalvo in accordance with the company’s operational procedures and overall mission statement. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Montalvo Arts Center is a great place for a person who loves the arts to make a serious contribution, to grow with the organization, and to have fun surrounded by gifted, committed people. To manage our unique community resource with its diverse arts programs and historic estate, Montalvo employs an integrated management process. This focused approach effectively links functions, activities and information throughout the organization so that operational strategies, service initiatives, new program ideas, and funding and marketing opportunities benefit from multiple perspectives. Through this approach, Montalvo staff become vested in each other’s' success.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Adhere to internal controls, accounting policies and procedures, in accordance with GAAP.
- Responsible for month end close activities, journal entries, account reconciliations, accruals, revenue recognition, and financial statement preparation.
- Responsible for daily cash management, cash flow budgeting and forecasting, and weekly disbursement reports prior to check runs.
- Manage merchant banking relationships.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the financial records, computer financial management system, chart of accounts and vendor files.
- Work with the auditors to coordinate the information and schedules for the annual audit.
- Supervise Payroll/Accountant, volunteers and interns working in the finance office.
- Complete special projects and miscellaneous analysis as required.
- Respond to patron inquires on financial matters.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 5 years progressive accounting experience in the non-profit sector.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, fund accounting, financial reporting, internal control systems, and budgeting and financial analysis.
- Ability to interpret rules, regulations and policies.
- Strong computer skills and experience using financial management software.
- Must have excellent communication skills and a strong ability to accomplish tasks through collaboration with others.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently and make sound decisions, without close supervision.
- The ability to manage workload and meet deadlines is a requirement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance
Working Conditions & Physical Tasks:
Typical office environment; requires the ability to remain seated at a computer work station for extended periods. Some job functions may be performed outdoors. Some local travel necessary; valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle required. Must occasionally lift/carry supplies weighing up to 30 lbs. May need to stand or bend to perform program support tasks. Position may require some evening/weekend availability. Background check clearance required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a cover letter highlighting your experience relevant to the position, along with your resume and salary requirements to Human Resources via email at email@example.com. No phone calls about the position, please.