Legal Administrative Assistant, Atlanta, GA Office
- Experience Level
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Legal Administrative assistant to join our Atlanta, GA office.
The principal responsibilities of the Legal Administrative Assistant will include reception duties and providing legal and administrative support to the attorneys in the office. The Atlanta office currently consists of 17 staff members, including 11 attorneys. The assistant will have a full range of administrative responsibilities (copying, scanning, answering phones, preparing reports and presentations), including generally helping maintain an efficient and well organized office. The assistant will also handle court filings and related duties, and be involved in research on multiple cases and projects.
The Southern Environmental Law Center places an emphasis on employee growth and satisfaction, and as a member of this team, the assistant will have numerous opportunities to make valuable contributions to our work.
Come join SELC and help make a difference in our region.
About the Position:
This legal assistant will support 4 – 5 attorneys.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with answering office phone
- Assist with responding to public inquiries about SELC
- Research daily environmental news and circulate to staff
- Assist with maintaining office calendar
- Schedule conference calls
- Arrange attorney travel reservations and submit expense reports
- Order office and break room supplies
- Research and generate memos/reports for attorneys
- Proofread/edit briefs, comment letters, or any other document for attorneys
- Provide high-level administrative support in the production, filing, and submission of legal documents
- Organize and maintain hard and electronic case files, general legal and project files, and pleadings notebooks
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to work closely and professionally with a team of attorneys and other administrative staff, and also the ability to work independently.
- Must be flexible, proactive, very well organized, and able to work efficiently under strict deadlines.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications.
- Positive attitude.
- Prior legal assistant or law office experience required.
- Experience with FileSite, Concur, and e-discovery software preferred.
- Documented environmental interest or experience preferred.
SELC is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the Southeast’s foremost environmental organization and regional leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people. Although its regional focus is the Southeast, much of its work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. It currently has a staff of 130, with 68 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC prides itself on collegiality, teamwork, and mutual respect among its staff and board. We seek to bring these same values to our work in partnership with organizations, communities, and people of all backgrounds that share our mission to protect the environment of the South. The South has a rich natural diversity and an equally rich cultural diversity. To better fulfill its mission, SELC is committed to broadening the diversity of its staff. We believe this will strengthen our organization and our effectiveness in responding to the many environmental challenges affecting the South and its people.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references in one email to GAjobs@selcva.org. Please note that if your application is missing any of the requested documents we will not be able to consider you for the position. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds.