Admissions & Student Services Coordinator
- Experience Level
About Computer Technologies Program
What would it mean to you to help a person with a disability overcome barriers to employment, build their self-confidence and get a job? How would you feel knowing that you helped them improve the quality of their life and gain greater independence?
This is the challenging and rewarding work that we do at CTP. We have a high rate of student success which means that we feel good about the work we do every day.
Founded in 1974, CTP is a nonprofit job training organization that serves people with disabilities. Over the past 10 years, we have successfully transformed our agency to stay relevant to the needs of our students and the business world. Today that evolution continues and we are seeking a new team member who can join us in building the CTP of tomorrow.
We serve a very diverse student population that varies by disability-type, age, race, gender, experience and aptitude. The most common barriers to employment that our students face is a lack of self-confidence, an employment history with significant gaps and a deficit of professional skills. Our program aims to address all of these areas through technical training, professional development, coaching, externships, job search assistance and career development support.
As CTP’s Admissions & Student Services Coordinator you will work closely with the CTP staff to ensure that students effectively navigate the referral process from recruitment sources such as the Department of Rehabilitation, and help them get a smooth start at CTP working towards future employment. As students progress through our training, you will maintain their case files and with the support of CTP’s experienced staff, provide coaching on barriers to employment that students face. Periodically you will lead employment services classes with our developed curriculum and provide substitute coverage as needed.
Conduct student admissions process
- Coordinate intake process with referral sources.
- Provide intake assessments and new student orientations.
- Obtain student information by requesting documentation from referring organizations; verify and clarify information; regularly update student databases, interview potential students; explain admission criteria.
- Screen potential students by comparing student’s vocational goals and capabilities to admission criteria; evaluate and accept or reject students; refer students to other programs and institutions as necessary.
- Prepare admissions reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
Coordinate student recruitment with referral sources
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with referral sources such as Department of Rehabilitation to build positive PR and expand recruitment potential.
- Coordinate on-site tours and off-site presentations to Department of Rehabilitation offices, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, community-based organizations, career fairs, and other special events.
- Develop outreach strategies and market programs by preparing and providing informational materials; answering questions.
- Assist with design, editing and production of outreach marketing materials as needed.
Participate in team case management and coaching for students
- Coach students on issues that have been identified as a barriers to employment. Coaching is designed to inform students of professional expectations and provide support and recommendations on how to improve and/or develop accommodation strategies.
- Advise referral sources of any problems and facilitate meetings to negotiate problem-solving contracts with students, instructors, and counselors.
- Assess and report on student’s job readiness.
- Coordinate acquisition of adaptive/specialized equipment, software and services.
- Provide referrals to appropriate outside agencies for services including benefits counseling, housing, transportation, independent living skills instruction, counseling and other services as needed by students.
Handle administrative tasks related to the role
- Assist with maintenance of student administration database system (SalesForce).
- Generate statistical reports as needed.
- Special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
Provide classroom instruction as needed
- Conduct student employment preparation workshops.
- Provide substitute instruction for other instructors as needed.
- Support and assist students in their job search.
You are an ideal candidate if you are an enthusiastic, empathetic, detail-oriented, team player who would like to take on the challenge of helping students get started at CTP and support them through the process of becoming ready for employment. You believe in our mission to broaden employment opportunities for people with disabilities and that employment is key to a life of independance.
Key to this job is the ability to see underlying issues which may be causing barriers to employment such as low self-esteem and self-confidence, fear of success/failure and disability-related issues.
Multi-tasking, Listening, Verbal Communication, Teamwork, Documentation Skills, PC Proficiency, Organization, Phone Skills, Recruiting, Interviewing Skills, People Skills, Supports Diversity, Employment Law, Results Driven, Professionalism, Project Management, Judgment
- Experience either with a workforce development agency or in an educational setting. Please highlight your experience in this area in your cover letter.
- Personal or professional experience with people with disabilities.
- Basic knowledge of an array of disability types.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with co-workers and management in addressing and resolving issues.
- Patient, empathetic and appreciative of constructive criticism.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer savvy, proficient in MS Office and unafraid of technology.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Sense of humor.
- Ability to travel to offsite meetings and events as needed.
- Political acumen, professionalism and responsible behavior including maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Able to have difficult but constructive discussions with students so they have a better chance of achieving their vocational goals.
- Academic degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training in a related field.
- Experience in working with the Department of Rehabilitation and/or other similar referral agencies such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Experience using Salesforce.
- Reliable transportation.
CTP is run by a small, tight knit group of core individuals. Working together smoothly with us is critical to being successful. As a small staff our job responsibilities overlap and you must be willing to jump in where help is needed. Conversely, you will be supported by staff when you need help.
We are housed and are a partner agency in the beautiful and universally designed Ed Roberts Campus (ERC) located at the Ashby BART station in Berkeley, CA.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Berkeley
- Advocacy / Lobbying Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Berkeley
- Direct Service / Social Service Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Berkeley
- Education / Teaching Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Berkeley
- Marketing / Communications Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Berkeley