Paralegal / Legal Assistant
- Experience Level
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature - to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time Paralegal/Legal Assistant. This position is located in Oakland, California.
General Position Overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Paralegal/Legal Assistant in our Climate Law Institute. The Climate Law Institute wages innovative legal and public-pressure campaigns to limit global warming pollution, shift to a clean energy future, and protect species and ecosystems threatened by climate change.
The Paralegal will provide paralegal, legal secretarial and administrative support to a dynamic team to support litigation, policy advocacy, grassroots organizing and media outreach. The working environment is fast-paced, exciting and supportive. The position is full time and will be located in our Oakland office.
- Preparation of legal documents, including cite checking, completing tables of contents and authorities for briefs, proofreading, formatting, and related tasks.
- Filing and serving of documents and maintenance of legal dockets, including ensuring compliance with court rules in a variety of state and federal jurisdictions; e-filing; making courtesy copies; calendar management for administrative actions and court filings; corresponding with Clerks’ offices; and related tasks.
- Preparation and indexing of administrative records and appendices/excerpts of record in litigation.
- Maintenance of legal library, including updating of court rules and reference material.
- Finalizing comment letters, including retrieval of online references.
- Factual and some legal research.
- Assisting with the planning and handling of internal and external meetings, travel and conference arrangements.
- Assisting with event coordination such as public presentations, rallies, and hearings.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A university degree.
- A minimum of two years paralegal/litigation experience.
- Ability and willingness to complete legal secretarial tasks.
- Intermediate level or above skills with Microsoft Excel, Adobe Pro, and Microsoft Word.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills.
- An ability to multi-task efficiently and to work well with others as part of an effective team.
- A strong work ethic and a demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
- Paralegal certification preferred.
Salary is commensurate with that offered by other nonprofit organizations for comparable experience; it includes an excellent vacation and benefits package.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere.
Please apply online by uploading a cover letter, a résumé, a writing sample and three to five references as a single PDF file at https://biologicaldiversity.applicantpro.com/jobs/578712.html. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.