- Experience Level
Jessica Zitter, MD, MPH, is a nationally recognized advocate committed to changing the current paradigm of end-of-life medical decision-making. Her work aims to build bridges between patients and healthcare teams, aligning care delivery with patient values and preferences.
Having had her first book, Extreme Measures: Finding a Better Path to the End of Life published by Penguin/Random House in February of this year, and been featured in the Academy Award nominated verite documentary Extremis, her organization is at an exciting and significant point of growth and transition. You can learn more about her work at www.jessicazitter.com.
About our Team:
Dr. Zitter has cultivated a team of dedicated and passionate people to support and expand the reach of this important message about ending the public health crisis of people dying badly. She works closely with her tight-knit team, and especially the program manager, who manages all aspects of the organization, including but not limited to event management, marketing, communications, branding, public relations, promotion, technology and infrastructure, educational outreach, and program development.
About the Position:
The program manager serves as a partner to Dr. Zitter in all aspects of the organization, and as manager to the other members of the team. The highly-collaborative and interactive nature of this role requires a person with true alignment with Dr. Zitter's message, innovative and creative thinking, and open communication. They are responsible for overseeing and ensuring the execution of all current projects, initiatives, and collaborations, and for moving each forward in a timely fashion with maximal impact. This person should have several years of experience in running multiple projects in parallel, managing several reports, and be highly organized, proactive, and collaborative.
We're looking for a natural leader -- ready to spearhead our initiatives and lead our amazing team! To be successful, you'll need to be:
- Excited about our mission and eager to help increase our impact;
- Meticulously organized;
- Resourceful, independent and a quick learner, who knows how to both solve issues/questions independently and to ask the right questions when needed;
- Able to delegate + follow up with tasks through completion; but unafraid to jump in to get the job done!
- Coordinating the team, including:
- Program assistant
- Communications coordinator
- Domestic staff
- Long term contractors, including publicist, social media consultant, speaking coach
- Short term contractors (for individual projects, e.g. media trainers, photographers, etc.)
Managing the business:
- Budgeting + invoicing for projects
- Overseeing social media and branding efforts, ensuring appropriate content and news are promoted and distributed
- Overseeing event coordination and serving as liaison before, during, and after events
- Managing and recording articles written by Jessica Zitter
- Developing procedures to help manage initiatives, such as: helping create staff binder for domestic support / event procedures for speaking invitations / communications procedures
- Ensuring sufficient resources (staff, time, funds) are applied to each project
- Identifying and helping to bring aboard outside resources as needed
- Tracking timetables and budgets
- Considering new projects in relation to our goals/resources.
Hiring and managing staff:
- Managing the process of hiring business and domestic staff as needed, including interviewing, vetting candidates, and making recommendations
- Ensuring accountants and insurers receive the documentation they need
- Maintaining staff records+ creating monthly staff reports
- Coordinating quarterly staff meetings
- Reviewing staff timesheets
Overseeing administrative tasks:
- Managing JNZ emails
- Overseeing JNZ calendar
- Managing master list of projects
- Maintaining organized program files
- Scheduling staff
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Mostly on-site in Oakland for meetings with JNZ and staff, but some flex hours. Rare but occasional travel.
Required education: Bachelor's degree
Required experience: Program/Project Management (2 years)
Required language: English (flawless spoken and written)
To apply for the position, please complete the Program Manager Application, which requires a cover letter, CV, and position questionnaire, through the link below. Only applications completed through this link will be considered.
We look forward to reviewing your application.