Philanthropy Major Gifts Officer
- Experience Level
Major Gifts Officer
Established in 1972, Mount Vernon Presbyterian School, serving 940 students in preschool through grade 12, is located in the heart of Sandy Springs, Georgia, within the metropolitan Atlanta area.
Mission. We are a school of inquiry, innovation, and impact. Grounded in Christian values, we prepare all students to be college ready, globally competitive, and engaged citizen leaders.
Vision. We seek to be the best in developing and delivering a 21st century learning experience.
Culture. The culture of Mount Vernon students and staff revolves around five critical MV Norms:
- “Start with Questions” reflects curiosity, a growth mindset, and a pathway to wisdom.
- “Fail Up” embodies taking a risk, shipping ideas, and overcoming setbacks.
- “Share the Well” involves serving others, sharing ideas, and transparency.
- “Assume the Best” requires believing the best about each other.
- “Have fun” promotes celebrating the wins, enjoying the ride, and spontaneity.
The Opportunity. The Major Gifts Officer is a vital member of the Philanthropy Team, tasked with the strategic development of financial resources within and beyond the MVPS community to sustain and advance the School’s mission and vision. This position directly reports to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and will assist with major campaigns; cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual, corporate and foundation prospects; strategic planning for Mount Vernon’s philanthropy; and other duties as assigned. The successful candidate will be energized by the opportunity to fundraise for ambitious, innovative and bold work, and have extensive experience in both personal and written major gift solicitation within and beyond the metropolitan Atlanta philanthropic community.
Relationship Builder. You connect with people, develop and maintain positive working and professional relationships with a positive attitude. You enjoy ‘going the extra mile’ and seek to exceed expectations.
Attention to Detail. You are an astute observer who thinks on his/her feet and achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task.
Communicator. You collaborate with team members, faculty, students, parents, funders and partners, listening attentively, speaking effectively, and writing clearly.
Motivation. You enjoy solving problems and setting (and exceeding) goals. You are driven, resilient, comfortable taking risks, and thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
Creative Thinker. You are imaginative, identify creative solutions, and adapt as new challenges and opportunities arise.
Self-Starter. You are a go-getter and enjoy seeking out new projects and creative solutions to said-problems. You analyse the environment around you and are on the go to identify updated and new ways to tackle problems.
Brand Extender. You are passionate about innovation in education. You will enthusiastically share the Mount Vernon story with prospective and current supporters as well as strive to incorporate innovative methods and practices in the fundraising process.
Mount Vernon Essentials (Every Mustang, Every Day)
- Support the mission, vision, and norms of the School
- Stay current on the daily life of the School, including faculty meetings, school events, curriculum updates, and student highlights
- Maintain strong relationships with MV students, parents, alumni, faculty/staff, trustees, and external funders/partners
- Celebrate and share the School community’s #wins through social media and other venues
Philanthropy-Major Gifts Officer (MGO) Essentials
- Work closely with Chief Philanthropy Officer and Philanthropy team to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new and returning major gift donors to Mount Vernon
- Manage a specific portfolio of donors at the major gift level ($5,000 gift size and above)
- Personally solicit individual, foundation or corporate gifts as required; prepare written proposals and stewardship reports
- Organize, train and support campaign volunteers in the solicitation of gifts
- Work with Director of Annual Giving in fulfilling responsibilities of day-to-day execution of the School’s various campaigns
- Coordinate, support and attend special department and school events
Minimum Qualifications: All of the 'Important Qualities' above plus Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of direct fundraising experience with an emphasis on major gift cultivation and solicitation; proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Excel) and Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge; superior writing, editing, and presentation/public speaking skills; capacity to influence and motivate people; enthusiastic, growth-minded professional with a successful track record as a fully-engaged team player.
Preferred Qualifications: Well-practiced, active and engaging cultivator and solicitor; sociable and productive; a self-starter that will take initiative to “make it happen” (and have fun along the way); experience with grants/proposals, email marketing, special events; ability to articulate the mission and programs of Mount Vernon Presbyterian School in a clear and compelling manner.
Compensation: The salary is commensurate with experience and includes health insurance, retirement investment options, and generous paid time off.
Interested candidates should apply directly via this link: http://www.mountvernonschool.org/Page/Discover-MVPS/Employment-Opportunities.