Study Recruiter/Outreach Worker, SURU
- Experience Level
One of the nation's leading 501(c)3 nonprofit fiscal sponsors, PHFE has served nonprofit and government agencies since 1968. PHFE's staff provides a wide spectrum of nationally recognized infrastructure and support expertise. With Fiscal Sponsorship, Infrastructure Management, and Consulting Services, nonprofit and government agencies are able to reduce administrative overhead, improve accountability and spend more time and funding on programming and service delivery.
PHFE's services help make communities healthier and make a difference in the lives of millions of people served by our government and nonprofit clients.
Public Health Foundation Enterprises (PHFE) invites applications for the part-time hourly as needed non-benefitted position of Study Recruiter/Outreach Worker. The HIV Prevention Section Substance Use Research Unit (SURU) is seeking a committed, energetic person to join their outreach study team.
Position Focus: The Recruiter's primary responsibility will be to recruit substance using gay, bisexual and heterosexual participants for multiple HIV prevention and substance use studies. Recruitment will occur in local venues which will include street locations, community events, community based organizations, public clinics, bars, dance clubs, sex clubs, street fairs, needle exchanges and other venues where gay and bisexual men and substance users congregate.
Special Requirement: Must be comfortable working with substance users in settings such as HIV testing sites, needle exchanges, bars, street locations etc.
Recruitment efforts will target diverse populations and may expand demographics according to the demands of the study. Work includes both active and passive recruitment such as canvassing, surveying, distributing study media and Internet outreach on sexual hook-up sites and social media. Work may include some administrative duties such as data entry, telephone screening, appointment scheduling, and other duties as assigned.
Employment is provided by PHFE.
• Recruit diverse substance-using participants, particularly alcohol, speed, and opiate users that range from gay and bisexual to transgender and heterosexual populations
• Meet and/or exceed enrollment goals for multiple trials
• Recruit in venues which include but are not limited to street locations, community events, community based organizations, public clinics, bars, dance clubs, sex clubs, street fairs, needle exchanges and other venues where gay and bisexual men and/or substance users congregate
• Knowledge of and sensitivity to youth, racial, ethnic, cultural, and sexual diversity is required
• Administrative duties such as data entry, telephone screening, and appointment scheduling
• Other duties as assigned
• Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
• Bachelor's degree preferred.
• Previous experience working with substance users and/or gay/bisexual men is required.
Other Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Ability to read and write English.
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal-communication skills.
• Familiarity with gay community venues preferred.
• Must be comfortable working with substance users in settings such as HIV testing sites, needle exchanges, bars, street locations etc.
• Candidates for the position must be willing to learn a variety of skills related to recruiting and details about our research studies.
• Candidate must have a flexible schedule which includes the ability to work daytime hours, late nights and weekends.
Handling / Fingering Constantly
Reach Outward Frequently
Reach Above Shoulder Occasionally
Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend Occasionally
Lift / Carry Occasionally
Taste/ Smell Not Applicable
Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
Occasionally (0 - 2 hrs/day)
Frequently (2 - 5 hrs/day)
Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
Indoors Temperature Controlled, Outdoors
Interested applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume for consideration
All qualified applicants will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
PHFE is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages minorities, women, veterans, and disabled to apply.
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to be considered.
Please apply at the following URL: