BCCP Client Navigator
- Experience Level
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer.
This position conducts community-based outreach and public education to recruit and promote cancer screening in geographic assignment of approximately 10-12 counties for the BCCP program through the American Cancer Society (ACS) contract with the Georgia Department of Public Health. BCCP is the state Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, part of the CDC Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program.
• Implement community-based outreach and public education to recruit and promote cancer screening in geographic assignment.
• Develop and maintain a network of community resources
• Recruit BCCP eligible women ages 40-64 for breast and 21-64 for cervical cancer screening, with an emphasis on never/rarely screened women
• Recruit BCCP eligible women from priority populations, including African American, Hispanic and Latino populations, as indicated by community demographics.
• Implement evidence-based strategies to educate women about breast, cervical and colorectal cancers that will lead to screenings and assist in the assessment of their effectiveness.
• Work closely with and support BCCP nurses at health department clinics to provide timely follow up of abnormal results and annual reminders to BCCP clients
• Communicate timely and effectively regarding BCCP client’s progress to BCCP nurse or others as directed
• Assist clients in coordinating and rescheduling appointments, make/send reminder calls/letters, assist with interpretation (when necessary), and provide emotional support to BCCP clients
• Assist clients to eliminate barriers to screening, make appropriate referrals and refer issues to the proper BCCP health department staff
• Initiate, maintain and develop partnerships with key community-based organizations, volunteers, and intermediaries to develop, maintain and sustain a network of viable collaborative relationships at the community level
• Complete client intake logs, monthly activity reports, and other reports as required in a complete, accurate, timely and efficient manner
• Recruit, develop, retain and recognize volunteers and community partners in support of recruitment/outreach action plans
• Maintain high standard of professionalism and customer service
• Establish positive working relationships with BCCP health department staff, American Cancer Society (ACS) Field and Office Staff, and other members of the Community Outreach team
• Foster a positive work environment
• Make business based decisions; maintain accurate files, submit timely and accurate reports; meet timelines, follow through; apprise supervisor of status; provide viable & innovative solutions to problems; attend meetings/trainings, adhere to approved policy/procedure, represent the organization in a professional manner; make effective presentations
• Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Able to work successfully in a diverse team environment
• Able to cultivate relationships including mobilization of a diverse population of community leaders and volunteers
• Demonstrated ability in handling multiple priorities and projects
• Remain composed under stress; handle self in a professional manner at all times and take personal responsibility for delivering on personal and organizational commitments
• Ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused manner
• Act in the best interest of the organization and enhance the image of the American Cancer Society (ACS) in the public eye.
• Utilize available technology to perform position responsibilities
• Provide effective verbal and written communication skills and demonstrate ability to work with others
• Manage resources effectively and efficiently
• Apply and follow ACS policies and guidelines
• Provide high quality customer service, both internally and externally
• Complete work in a timely and efficient manner and ensure work is accurate
• Adhere to all applicable policies and procedures, as defined by the ACS and the requirements of the BCCP contract.
• Adhere to the guidelines and regulations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) per the requirements of the BCCP contract.