- Position Type
- Full Time
Department: Collections, Foundation Location: San Francisco
Reports to: Director of Collections and Exhibtions
Status: Full Time, 40 hours/week FLSA Code: Exempt
Supervises: N/A Hours: May include some evenings and weekends
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in all aspects of installation and deinstallation of museum exhibitions. Such tasks may include protecting floors and surfaces; patching and painting walls; packing and unpacking materials and artifacts; installing and de-installing 2D and 3D artifacts; installing exhibition graphics, signage, and labels; adjusting lighting; installing display fixtures and mounts.
- Prepares artifacts for exhibition using extreme care and established art handling guidelines.
- Creates mounting systems for 3D artifacts for earthquake stabilization.
- Prepares 2D artifacts for exhibition via matting, mounting and framing.
- Fabricates labels, signs and other graphic materials.
- Fabricates new or customizes repurposed exhibition elements such as case decks, risers, and cases.
- Maintenance of permanent and temporary exhibitions which includes a daily inspection of the galleries, replacing in-case lights, dusting exposed artifacts and exhibit props and performing other repairs and improvements as needed.
- Maintains supplies, tools, equipment, and orderly work and storage spaces. Updates database of exhibition display components.
- Safely handles, packs, unpacks and transports collections artifacts between the museum’s work and exhibition spaces.
- Performs related duties as required.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Two (2) year of experience in the preparation, installation, and the care and handling of valuable art objects at a museum or gallery.
- Knowledge of art handling, packing, and art-storage techniques. Nature of work requires good dexterity and special care in the handling of irreplaceable and valuable art objects.
- Ability to perform physical work associated with preparation of exhibits.
- Ability to safely use a variety of hand and power tools, especially in the application of various materials
- Proficient with the programs of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work from drawings and checklists.
- Ability to work in an organized and efficient manner in managing priorities and meeting deadlines while adhering to museum standards for care and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.Physical requirements include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, crawling/kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing (ladders) and reaching above the shoulders and lifting of up to 50 lbs. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as furniture, file cabinets, equipment, boxes, etc. Must be able to work in a low-temperature, climate-controlled office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- TO APPLY:
Submit resume and cover letters via email to firstname.lastname@example.org