- Degree Level
Georgia Budget & Policy Institute
Title: Communications Associate
The Georgia Budget and Policy Institute (GBPI) is seeking a Communications Associate to support the Deputy Director of Communications and a team of policy analysts in order to expand the organization's reach and influence in Georgia. The successful candidate will be charged with using a variety of communication channels to promote the organization’s priorities and will play a significant role in implementing the organization’s overall communications strategy. Applicants should have strong writing experience with print, web and social media and thrive in an environment of collaboration and innovation. In addition to outstanding skills as a writer, organization seeks someone with a commitment to the shared values and strategic priorities of GBPI.
Organization Overview: The Georgia Budget and Policy Institute is building a more inclusive economy where every Georgian has a chance at a decent job to raise a family, can go to a doctor when they get sick and attend great public schools and universities. We examine the state’s budget, taxes and public policies to provide thoughtful analysis and responsible solutions. State elected officials and other policymakers rely on our research and recommendations to help them make decisions critical to Georgia’s future. We are an independent, nonprofit organization founded in 2004 and a trusted source of nonpartisan information for Georgia policymakers, partners and the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop written content for various applications including print, email, social media and web to help the organization influence state-level public policy solutions.
- Manage, edit and distribute digital communications to various stakeholders.
- Assist in enhancing and maintaining content for the GBPI website.
- Assist in the development, implementation and enhancement of the yearly communications and marketing strategic plan.
- Works with analysts to execute the layout and design of publications and other supporting material in the branded format.
- Create and post content for social media.
- Identify opportunities for storytelling, innovative messaging and emerging platforms.
- Understand the target audience intended for the message; be able to maintain GBPI style, tone, voice and brand.
- Assist with proofing and editing as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of direct or related experience, or equivalent.
- Experience in journalism, public relations, communication, marketing, advertising or related field.
- Effective writing, editing and organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office, presentation and content management tools.
- Must have experience with Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Experience with WordPress (HTML and CSS familiarity a plus).
- Must be comfortable working with data, able to generate polished graphics from spreadsheets generated by analysts.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies.
- Basic knowledge of roles played by local, state and federal government.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once, to work independently, and to work as a team member to achieve common goals.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment independently is required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits including health insurance, dental and vision care, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement and generous vacation leave, sick leave and holiday schedules. To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the title line. No calls, please.
GBPI is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, takes affirmative action to ensure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.