Live-Out House Assistant
- Degree Level
- High School
The mission of L’Arche (“The Ark” in French) is to build community with people of all abilities, and to help our society imagine the human family differently, inspiring others to similar initiatives. L’Arche brings together people with and without intellectual disabilities in homes, workshops, day programs or other activities. At L’Arche, we believe that care-giving and relationship-building go hand in hand. Together, we build community.
The global L’Arche movement celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2014 and counts more than 140 communities in 35 countries. L’Arche communities are places of celebration, learning and spirituality, welcoming people of all faiths or none and engaging every community member to deepen his or her spiritual life.
Our community in Atlanta opened in 2012 in the Oakhurst neighborhood with one house. We are an certified provider of quality care for people living with developmental disabilities. We are looking for a house assistant who will thrive in sharing life and daytime activities with people with disabilities and fellow assistants.
Position of Live-Out House Assistant
At L’Arche, we call people who support adults with developmental disabilities assistants. As a L’Arche assistant you are responsible for the quality of life of people of differing abilities. You are also responsible to provide excellent quality care.
Whether you are a professional who seeks to live his job in a different context or a non-professional with a liking for community life, L’Arche might be the place where you can develop your skills, establish meaningful relationships and contribute your gifts.
The House Assistant receives delegation from the House Coordinator, and works in collaboration with the other House Assistant(s), the Community Leader and the Director of Professional Services, as a leader of the life in his/her home.
The duties and tasks of this position include:
- Personal care of people with developmental disabilities: assisting with personal, health, social, and practical needs of each core member in the home.
- Ensuring Personalized Plan: Ensuring the daily application of each individual’s personal plan.
- Liaison: In collaboration with the House Leader, being responsible for competent, clear communication with professionals, families of residents, neighbors, visitors, and other members of L'Arche who are in contact with the house.
- Team and house meetings: attending and participating in team and house meetings.
- Maintaining Living Space: Helping keep the home clean, safe and organized.
- Outings and Projects: Accompanying core members on outings and activities.
- Administration: carrying out delegated responsibilities, i.e., record keeping, report writing, maintaining house or individual's finances and medication.
- Ensuring the quality of shared life: Contributing to a family atmosphere, developing relationships with all in the house, assisting in celebrations, and maintaining an atmosphere of welcome and friendship.
- Training: Participating in training in the values of L’Arche, and putting these into practice.
- Fostering spiritual growth: calling all members to deepen in their own spiritual traditions, and carrying on a tradition of prayer in the house; facilitating residents' participation in their local faith community.
- Community Life: Participating in the larger life and mission of the community, through celebrations, outings, meetings, etc.
- Hospitality: participating in the mission of L’Arche to be sign of hope by hosting guests for dinners and celebrations, friends from other L’Arche communities when they visit, and others who are curious about the mission of L’Arche.
*Schedule will be Tuesday and Thursday (7am-12pm) and Wednesday (7am-2pm).
*Deadline to apply is January 12, 2017. Please apply with a cover letter and resume.