4 days left
- Degree Level
The Staff Accountant supports day-to-day accounting transactions, such as accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll, and in carrying out general responsibilities of the accounting department of Burning Man Project and its subsidiaries.
We’re looking for a staff accountant with excellent organization, prioritization, and communication skills. As well as, has a strong attention to detail, is a team player and is adaptable to rapidly changing priorities.
This position will report to the Controller.
Please visit our job board to apply:
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist in preparing payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and other day-to-day accounting transactions.
- Assist in maintaining the fixed asset system and associated depreciation schedules.
- Administer accounting policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Maintain current and archive accounting files including filing and labeling.
- Data entry.
- Periodic internal financial reporting including extensive use of QuickBooks and MS Office.
- Prepare budget templates for department managers to complete for upcoming fiscal year.
- Create budget reports to send to department managers.
- Prepare correspondence as needed within the department.
- Support and backup Senior Accountants as needed.
- Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative duties as may be required from time to time.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Accountants or Controller.
Teaching and Learning Responsibilities
- Documentation - Drives the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to assigned duties.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes. Participates in conferences, forums, and networking events, where appropriate.
- Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff and volunteers in Burning Man culture and business processes.
- Education equivalent to Associate Degree in Accounting, or the equivalent in related work experience.
- 2+ years general accounting experience.
- Attention to detail.
- Skilled in dealing with financial and numerical data.
- Skilled in use of MS Office.
- QuickBooks experience helpful.
- Excellent communication skills. This position requires the ability to respond politely to all individuals and work well as a team player.
- Ability to rely on professional judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to multitask and interface with many departments.
- Motivated self-starter who can multi-task in a busy, open office Monday through Friday.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and be flexible and adaptable about numerous and frequently dynamic sets of priorities.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to adjust schedule seasonally to work at the Burning Man event held in NV.
- It is helpful if the candidate has previously been to Burning Man.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required.
- On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This position is a regular, full-time role eligible for benefits, working at BMHQ in San Francisco, CA, and in Black Rock City, NV.
- Burning Man is an equal-opportunity employer.