Resident Gardener for Buddhist Retreat Center - Organic vegetables, Landscaping
- Degree Level
Do you love variety in your work, being outdoors, learning practical skills and big projects that challenge you?
Our team is seeking healthy, strong residents eager to engage a lifestyle of physical work, community living and self development through work.
ABOUT: Odiyan Retreat Center is located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in Northern California. 100 miles north of San Francisco.We are perched on top of a ridge overlooking rolling mountains and the Pacific Ocean.
Odiyan is modeled after Tibet's first monastery—a three-dimensional mandala. This mandala strives to manifests a way of life that integrates work with a path of self-exploration.
THE WORK: Odiyan Retreat Center offers a challenging and rewarding live-work retreat program where work is the vehicle for your inner development. Your work at Odiyan will include beautifying and maintaining the extensive formal gardens and landscapes, working in our four vegetable gardens and seven orchards,or out on the land.
Outside of the gardens, part of your working hours will also include cooking, food preservation, kitchen clean-up, assisting with sacred art projects such as making Buddhist statues in the Foundry and assisting with maintenance and upkeep of the Temples and Temple gardens.
- Free housing in large room with balcony
- Communal bathroom/shower and laundry
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- A living allowance of $150 per month
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food.
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit, Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means and more
- Opportunity to engage in a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and taking responsibility
- Healthy and without significant mental or physical health issues
- Comfortable with heavy lifting, good manual dexterity and multi-limb coordination while using tools and small machines. (small power tools, weed whackers, leaf blowers, mowers)
- Eager for a hard-working wholesome lifestyle of service
- Experience is not required but your work history or education history should demonstrate your ability to focus, take initiative, go beyond what is expected and stay with a demanding task over time.
- Minimum commitment is 6 months
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- Couples are welcome
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
We are a smoke and drug free community. We are seeking people who have a sincere interest in Buddhism and exploring work as a path to inner freedom.
Our weekly schedule is rigorous (6 days a week) and rewarding!
See http://firstname.lastname@example.org or call our volunteer office at 510-981-1987