Chief Financial Officer
- Position Type
- Full Time
POSITION: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Second Harvest provides over 8 million pounds of food assistance annually to over 55,000 people a month through its network of 200 member agencies and programs. We have an annual cash operating budget of $5 million and assets valued at over $11 million. Join us as we work to achieve our vision of ensuring no one has their life opportunities limited by hunger or malnutrition.
Second Harvest is committed to maintaining a culturally diverse staff that reflects the community which we serve and we strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
The CFO will serve as a key member of the organization’s executive leadership team and will be expected to play a critical role in Second Harvest’s future growth and development. S/he will be capable of providing input on a broad range of strategic, operational, administrative and financial issues. This person will be responsible for ensuring the financial well-being of the organization, monitoring and managing organizational risks, providing IT leadership and support, and overseeing the organization’s legal activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB TASKS
- Lead and support a team of professionals in accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Act as the CEO’s chief financial advisor, managing all financial operations of Second Harvest, including financial planning and forecasting, financial analyses, the handling of investments, cash management and provision of appropriate controls and reports, accounting and payroll.
- Lead Information Technology (IT), ensuring that the organization’s objectives and programs align with IT objectives and programs, and that the organization has strong data and information integrity.
- Develop plans, policies and procedures that ensure accurate systems of accounting and financial reporting, in partnership with the CEO and the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that the investment portfolio is administered consistent with the Board-approved investment policy and monitor investment policies and conduct periodic reviews of investment and endowment funds.
- Oversee monthly, quarterly, and annual financials and other financial reports.
- Supervise all aspects of budget planning and presentation, and monitor monthly expenditures against budget projections and forecasts.
- Staff the Audit Committee and Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage Risk Management for the organization.
- Provide financial information for annual audit; working closely with external auditor.
- Review results and continually improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Finance & IT department functions.
- Work with insurance providers, monitoring coverage and communicating procedures to staff (Workers Compensation, Fire, Liability, Auto, etc.)
- Ensure that Second Harvest is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Finance Director (supervises Senior Accounting Manager), IT Director, Payroll and Benefits Manager
- Strategic thinker with prudent business judgment and financial analysis acumen.
- Highly computer literate with in-depth experience in accounting software (Navision, Ceres, and DonorQuest a plus).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups, backgrounds and lifestyles.
Training and Experience
- 4-year degree in Accounting or Finance, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years senior leadership position in finance, investments, and IT.
- History of success in evaluating, recruiting, developing and empowering a Finance and IT team.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance and reporting.
- Audit experience and CPA or MBA a definite plus.
- Must have valid California Driver's License and have a satisfactory driving record, as documented by a current DMV printout (to be obtained by Second Harvest’s insurance broker).
- Must be qualified to be insured with Second Harvest’s insurance carrier.
PAY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time regular position working 40 hours per week, including some weekday evenings. Salary is commensurate with experience. Paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave. Optional health, dental, and vision insurances. Mandatory life, accidental death & dismemberment, long-term disability, and long-term care insurances available the first of the month following date of hire.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Fax: (831) 722-0435. Mail: Second Harvest Food Bank, 800 Ohlone Parkway, Watsonville, CA 95076-7005. All application materials must be received by 10am PST on 1/30/2017.
SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK SANTA CRUZ COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Second Harvest Food Bank does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition (cancer related and genetic characteristics), marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age (over 18), veteran status, gender, pregnancy, or any other non-merit factor unrelated to job duties. Such action includes, but is not limited to, the following: recruitment; advertising; layoff or termination; rates of pay or other forms of compensation; selection for training (including apprenticeship); and employment, upgrading, demotion, or transfer.